Monday, November 9, 2009

Turning 40

Why is it when you go up in age, people tend to make a big deal about it? I can understand going from age 20 to 21, but as for the others after that - it's just a number!

I mean think about it!
- If you play the Mega Millions lottery. You get 5 of the winning numbers, but missed one for the big prize.
- Your pants are too tight, so you go to the store and buy the next size up.
- You're cooking dinner and run out of a particular item while cooking. Once it's cooked and you taste it, you know that it didn't come out the way you wanted to...

I hope you get the idea.

Age is a number. So are statistics, finances, weight, and inches. You could be at your goal, exactly where you want to be at this point in time. But as we get older, that changes - our bodies, health, strength, flexibility, recovery time - all will change, especially if we do not take care of ourseleves. If we want to maintain it, we have to take care of our bodies and health the way we manage our businesses. Consistently, diligently, and honestly.

I'm now forty years old. I'm proud to say that I have done and accomplished more over the past twenty years, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've done theatre for seventeen years, sang in choirs and chorues for thirty-four years, taught CCD for a year, ran a singles group at church for a year and a half, I've travelled both domestically and internationally, studied martial arts, graduated college with a bachelor's degree, worked in corporate for five and a half years, and have worked in finance for an electronics distribution company for eight years - a job at which I still hold today.

What am I getting at?
We all have a past, we all have experience. People believe that our past makes us who we are. This is not necessarily true. Our past does not dictate who we will BECOME! For instance, just because I was born with epilepsy does not mean that I shouldn't take care of myself or I will live a seizure-free life! I have been seizure-free since 1996, and will do whatever is necessary to remain that way.

Not a lot of people have a mindset. Yes, this IS a mindset. Someone once said, "if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." Motivational speaker, Anthony Robbins, has said, "Anything that any human being can do, so can I".

The poet, Goethe, has said, "trust yourself, then you will know how to live". This quote changed my life. By having enough faith and determination in yourself, you will provide the necessary drive and motivation to help you accomplish not only your goals, but the goals others in your life.

Two years ago, my goal was to get fit, workout hard enough for six-pack abs, muscles in my arms... As I strove to achieve that, I obtained something else instead. I have achieved improved blood pressure, excellent cholesterol, and educating myself on proper nutrition. Proper nutrition helped my body and muscles effectively and efficiently.

I wanted to get into the best shape possible before turning 40 years old. For the most part, I have accomplished that. NOW, my goal is to surpass my current achievements and progress to the next level with my fitness. Stronger, healthier, faster, flexibile, leaner... a litle bit of everything.

Forty is a number. By tomorrow, it will change to forty years old and two days, and it will continue to change over time.

I choose to continue learning, developing, reaching, educating, and reaching for the next level, the next challenge, the next opportunity. Why? Because that's evolution. It shows change. These changes will be my history. Where I've started, how I have progressed, what I have achieved, and what I hope to become.

No comments: