Monday, July 27, 2009

Power 90 Master Series (last phase of Power90)

As I had initially mentioned a few blogs back, I would be kicking up Power 90 by adding workouts from the Power 90 Master Series. This past week, I began the 5-6 series, or Power 90 Master Series workouts. These are the last workouts that I will be doing before I begin P90X Classic on August 9, 2009.

Over the past few weeks, I’ve had my setbacks, but I wasn’t going to let that get to me. After the tweak in my lower back by lifting 30 pounds, I dropped the weight significantly to 12.5pounds. I received a Twitter message from a fellow coach who said, “Dude, what are you doing?!?!? Lifting heavier is better!” I hear where he was coming from. I called him a few days later, and I explained my reasoning for lowering the weight – to protect my lower back.

When I dropped the weight, I increased the reps. Although I was lifting 12.5pounds, I was doing 20 reps per exercise – so I was still getting a burn. Throughout the week, I gradually increased the weights by 2.5 each weight workout, but I kept the same reps. At the end of this week, I was lifting 17.5pounds and doing 20 reps. It was an ultimate burn, and I liked it and hated it at the same time. But you know what, I knew that if I stuck with it, that it would eventually pay off in the end.

Saturday morning, I woke up and worked out to “Recovery 4 Results” from Beachbody’s One On One series. Now for anyone who isn’t familiar with personal trainer Tony Horton, he has over 25 years as a personal trainer. He has created multiple workout programs through Beachbody ranging from super-stacking programs like Ten Minute Trainer to extreme exercise programs such as P90X and P90X+.

“Recovery 4 Results” had stretching, light weight workouts, a little yoga, and it allows you to help recover from a strenuous workout the day before. Once the workout completed, I felt great, my muscles no longer hurt, and I was ready to start the next week.

I’m jumping back to Power 90’s 3-4 series JUST for this week. I want to get in a few more workouts from the 3-4 series. The week after that will be my final week in Power 90/Master Series. Then, on August 9, I begin P90X.

Have a great day everyone! ONWARD!

No comments: