Saturday, July 4, 2009

Shoes

I have always heard the phrases, “the suit makes the man” or “the right outfit improves your appearance.” In the movie The Shawshank Redemption, Morgan Freeman’s character asked this question, “How often do you look at another man’s shoes?”

I have lived with scoliosis all of my life and I’ve known that my posture was hunched. When I was diagnosed with it there were two options – a back operation and recovery time, or a back brace. I did not want a back operation or the rehab time associated with it (six months in a body cast, and then six months in therapy learning how to stand, walk and sit again) because I always thought there was another way. I also didn’t want a 6” metal rod inserted into my back to straighten the spine either. When I started exercising two years ago, I found that other way.

Exercising improved my “calmness”. It developed my muscles, strengthened my bones, which also helped straighten my posture and improve my appearance. Exercising helped me in more ways than I had ever expected. For that, I am truly grateful.

The other night, I was standing up, and I looked in a mirror noticing my posture – hunched. I knew that there was something I had to do about it.

A few weeks ago, I slipped and fell on the floor of my parents’ kitchen because I wore out the threads on the bottom of my sneakers and I did not have support.

I went to Modell’s sporting goods with the intent on buying new sneakers for casual wear. While there, I learned that the width of my feet had changed, and I had been “squeezing” into my sneakers. I tried on wider sneakers, and something happened. I stood taller, stood straighter, and my back did not hunch! I was excited, and I tried on a pair of cross training sneakers to use while working out. I put them on, took one step, and BOOM, I stood taller, straighter, and I felt better.

When I got home, I worked out with such intensity with the new sneakers that I was blown away! I worked out harder, much more intensely, and I sweated more. I loved it! I absolutely LOVED it!!! When I finished, I was covered in sweat and felt fantastic. I was so motivated, so enthused, and I couldn’t wait to get home from work every day or wake up first thing in the morning JUST to workout!!!

One positive result from standing straighter is that I see more of a change and definition in my physical appearance. In just a few days, after working out this way, I’ve been pulling the belt on my jeans one extra notch because other wise it is too loose!

I can’t wait to have my next set of photos taken to see what the results actually “show!

No comments: